The capital’s most beautiful bridge
Composed entirely of metal and constructed in only three years, from 1897 to 1900, this bridge is a symbol of Franco-Russian friendship. The first stone was posed by Tsar Nicolas II, son of Alexandre III of Russia in 1896. It was constructed in 1900 for the Universal Exposition in Paris.
The bridge, 154 meters in length, dazzles passerbys with its rich decoration: its sea-shell garlands and marine flora, its fourteen three-pronged bronze candelabras, its nymphs, its equestrian statues, and its entirely gilded sculptures representing the finest of the Arts, Sciences, Combat and of Industry.
In homage to Paris, the Russians constructed the bridge of the Trinity in Saint Petersburg. It is one of city’s most visited bridges with its spectacular ornaments.